Wednesday, April 10, 2019

The Skies Above Berlin




     We flew into Berlin at 10:00 in the morning and easily found the TGX bus that would take us to where we needed to go: Spandauer Strasse/Marienkirche (Mary's Church).
    
   
     From there, we had trouble figuring out which way to walk. I was using paper maps. Our phones hadn’t caught up with us enough to allow mapping apps to help. When we finally figured out where our apartment building was, we were only about 250 meters from it.
     The apartment we rented was only a studio but has a kitchenette and SEPARATE bathroom (unlike in Copenhagen). 

It feels luxurious. 


We dropped our bags and set out to sightsee.
     We set out and I thought I had read the map right about which way to turn when we got out of our building. But we ended up on museum island, which is famous and a place we wanted to visit, just not that day. We were in search of a gluten-free restaurant on a nearby street. I turned around and looked at the map and tried to get us headed the right direction, but only got us more lost. I was frustrated but Mary pointed out that I had never been in this city before so I shouldn't expect to know my way around right away. As if the universe heard my anxiety, we passed this advertisement:
    
     "It feels good to walk in circles."

     Mary noticed people in running bibs and thermal blankets. We had arrived on the day of the Berlin half marathon. It seemed in keeping with our walking 30 miles in four days to start our trip.

     We went to Alexanderplatz, which was relatively sleepy. It is a famous symbol of this city, and Mary studied German cinema, one of whose famous movies is titled Berlin Alexanderplatz.    
     I connected to Berlin through movies, too.
    
     Wings of Desire instantly became my favorite movie the moment I saw it. Two angels wander around Berlin, listening in on people's thoughts; noting acts of kindness, lightness, or humor; and comparing notes and having philosophical conversations when they meet up. To me. these activities had always seemed holy, and the movie reinforced that notion. Maybe part of why I enjoy travel is that a large portion of my time is spent as the angels spend their time in that movie: wandering around, appreciating beauty, and noting what is going on around me.(This entry's title comes from my own translation of its German title "Himmel uber Berlin")
     We then walked the famous Unter der Linden, a wide boulevard lined by many of Berlin's famous museums and institutions. It was again a beautiful day. This past winter was particularly cold in Chicago, and it was like we traveled not merely through space to Europe but also through time to summer on our flight over here. Everybody was out enjoying the sun and warmth.
 
     I was headed straight up the street ticking off the places we passed. Then Mary saw an art fair going on that she wanted to walk through. It is not the kind of thing she does often at home. I was surprised. There were many beautiful things, many of which we could not pack with us. I was glad she led us into the fair. This coat caught Mary's eye,
    
      but instead she bought this skirt
    
     We walked all the way up Unter der Linden to the Reichstag, but it was busy and cordoned off for the marathon runners. We felt tired and hot like the runners must have, so we cooled off with prosecco and ice cream at a cafe. We then walked home and fell fast asleep around 9:00 but were up again in the middle of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Full Circle

     We were in Oslo partly to see the paintings of Edvard Munch. However, the National Museum, where many of them hang, was closed. We ...